CEO, 2210 (July 2012-present)
- Developing e-commerce fashion brand for 25-34 year old men and women.
- Championing emerging and established brands in the UK and China.
- Tech City News named Marc as one of the top five tech fashion trendsetters.
- Set to launch in June 2014.
Contractor web consultant, AOL (December 2012-July 2013)
- Updated AOLʼs homepage with content from The Huffington Post, MyDaily, AOL Cars, and Parentdish.
- Acted as cover for Senior Editor and Editor of homepage.
- Was involved with determining content that will appear on homepage, liaising with editors of aforementioned websites.
- Used web trends to maximise unique clicks and page impressions.
- Oversaw video content featured on AOL homepage.
Founder of Fotorater.com (April 2011-October 2012)
- Launched Fotorater Magazine, the editorial section for Fotorater – an exciting new social network (currently in development).
- Responsible for a team of editors/writers and one web technician.
- Content promoted by social media and websites such as Ashton Kutcher’s Facebook and Twitter presences, Autoblog, Jalopnik and Inhabitat.
Contractor Editor, Orange.co.uk (July 2005-March 2011)
- Worked as an editor for Orange.co.uk’s homepage, News, Sport, Money, Property, Travel, and Cars channels.
- Won employee of the month four times.
- Commissioned, wrote and scheduled features for the Orange Cars channel. Also sourced and edited pictures for the website.
- After becoming involved with the running of the Cars channel at the end of 2007, its statistics increased by nearly 200% over a period of three years.
- Annual page impressions increased from 4,586,863 PIs in 2007 to 7,204,070 PIs for 2008, 11,898,758 PIs for 2009 and 11,886,943 for 2010.
- Unique visitors increased from 488,404 at the end of 2007 to 759,964 UVs in 2008, 1,379,026 UVs for 2009 and 1,297,714 UVs for 2010.
- The channel’s all-time monthly page impressions record and monthly UVs record were broken on several occasions, including hitting an all-time high of 1,323,403 PIs and 129,038 UVs in January 2011.
- Regularly engaged with Orange.co.uk’s homepage team to ensure the Cars channel’s content secured prime positions on the homepage.
- Studied web statistics/click reports in order to make decisions that helped boost the website’s stats. Also enhanced SEO.
- Secured world and UK exclusives for the Cars website.
- Influenced the look of the Cars website.
- Built relationships with leading cars publications, including Top Gear.
- Created relationships with major car manufacturers, including Aston Martin, Bentley, Ford, BMW and Mercedes-Benz.
- Regularly asked for help by colleagues with the content management system.
Founder and editor of Seven Magazine (December 2004-June 2010)
- Created Seven – an online and print magazine for politically-conscious men and women with an interest in the international arts.
- Won the London Centre for Arts and Cultural Enterprise’s (LCACE) business concept award in 2005. Secured funding for the magazine.
- Developed the brand, logo, identity and was involved in the design process of three different websites.
- Managed a team of four editors and one sub-editor.
- Online version of the magazine first went live in October 2005.
- Commissioned over 800 articles. The project’s writers contributed to the likes of The Huffington Post, Financial Times, The Times, The Guardian, New Statesman and Time Out.
- Developed strong social media presence, including a 3,250-follower strong Twitter account.
- Seven interviewed the likes of Christian Bale, Keanu Reeves, George Clooney, Vampire Weekend, Iman, Rankin and Charlie Kaufman.
- The magazine received support and advice from Time Out director, Tony Elliott, the late Dame Anita Roddick, Spencer Neal (Director at Keeble Brown) and members of the Big Issue team, as well as other major media names.
- Brokered a print deal and secured a distribution deal with COMAG, launching a print version of the magazine in March 2007.
- Managed a small team (deputy editor, sub-editor, marketing assistant, picture editor and PR) and liaised with an independent design company to take the print publication to market.
- Art directed and styled fashion shoots for print magazine.
- Built excellent relationships with top PR houses.
- A number of leading industry publications have written about Seven, including Press Gazette, Journalism.co.uk and Stylebubble.co.uk.
- Website Uploader, The Guardian (September 2004 – July 2005)
- Uploaded articles from the Guardian and Observer newspapers to the Guardian.co.uk website.
- Edited and proof-read articles, and arranged web pages before publishing them to live.
MA in Journalism Studies
Goldsmiths College, University of London (September 2004 – September 2005)
BA Hons Media Communications and Film Studies/Photography (First Class)
University of Gloucestershire (September 2000 – July 2003)
CertHE Sports Science
University of Chichester (September 1998 – May 2000)
A-levels taken at Corfehills School (September 1993 – June 1998)
English Language; Physical Education
GCSEs taken at Corfehills School (September 1993 – June 1998)
English; Maths; Business Studies; Science; History; Physical Education; Design and Communication
Feature writer, The Independent (January – July 2005)
- Interviewed major figures from the world of film, including Jennifer Connelly, Melissa George and Hideo Nakata.
- Undertook research for established journalists.
- Interviewed celebrities for The Independent’s property section.
- Proof-read articles featured in the Property section.
New York Press, Q Magazine and Endemol.
Cleanart Project: The Reverse Graffiti Cars (August 2011)
- Inspired by the success of the Light Graffiti Cars and the Cleanart Project: 10 Independent London Publications, I came up with the idea for reverse graffiti cars – famous automobiles created using the art of reverse graffiti
- Commissioned by Germany’s largest publication to create the images of four green cars using reverse graffiti
- Coordinated whole project – including helping with the creation of the cars, contributing to the selection of the cars, and offering advice during the photoshoot. Also organised travel, accommodation and tools required for shoot.
- Handled the PR for the project – securing coverage on successful websites such as Jalopnik.com and Inhabitat.com.
Cleanart Project: 10 Independent London Publications (October 2010)
- Created and managed Cleanart Project: 10 Independent London Publications – a project where the logos of 10 magazines were created using reverse graffiti.
- Involved the likes of Time Out, Dazed and Confused, Vice Magazine, Loaded, Urban Junkies, Attitude, Sabotage Times, 5 Magazine, Se7en and The Face.
- Liaised with Time Out’s owner and managing director to secure funding for the project.
- Became one of the youngest ever people to appear in “The Innovator” section of The Observer Magazine.
- The Light Graffiti Cars (October 2009 – present)
- Created web sensation, the Light Graffiti Cars, a series of images of cars created using light painting.
- The project went on to become an Internet sensation, appearing on websites such as Top Gear, (where it was twice ranked as the most popular feature) Auto Express, Jalopnik, Trend Hunter and The Awesomer.
- All pictures in the series are now on sale via the Athena website. The Light Graffiti Cars also appear in an international children’s book.
Experience with a number of content management systems, including Spectra, SED, ICE, Typepad, WordPress and Joomla.
Word, Adobe Photoshop, Basic HTML, Balsamiq, QuarkXPress, Adobe InDesign, PowerPoint, Workflows, Stopit, Aqua, Excel and Access.
French – basic
Spanish – basic